Monday, October 5, 2009

Bringing Home Baby


Just when I thought that life couldn’t get any better... I brought home MY baby!! True, I am still adjusting to the baby routine - eat, play, sleep, poop. I think I have gotten peed on at least 20 times and pooped on half as many times. In fact, my little man has shot poop from the changing table to the wall baptizing the giraffe painted on it. (Sorry, Linh– the paint looks somewhat yellower- but still beautiful).
Despite the bags around my eyes deepening, somehow, when my little Benson smiles (I’m sure it is just gas), my soul lights up as my heart flitters and I am filled with an even deeper love for my little boy. I often think how lucky I am to be a wife to a wonderful man and a mother to a darling boy. I thank my Heavenly Father everyday for His precious gifts! My mom sent me this poem. I think it captures the scene perfectly, when I was laying in the hospital bed and held my little boy for the first time!

Day-Old Child

My day-old child lay in my arms.
With my lips against his ear
I whispered strongly, “How I wish —
I wish that you could hear.

“I’ve a hundred wonderful things to say
(a tiny cough and a nod)
“Hurry, hurry, hurry and grow
So I can tell you about God.”

My day-old baby’s mouth was still
And my words only tickled his ear.
But a kind of a light passed through his eyes
And I saw this thought appear:

“How I wish I had a voice and words;
I’ve a hundred things to say.
Before I forget I’d tell you of God —
I left Him just yesterday.”

1 comment:

Crystal/Scott/Charlie/John said...

That's a beautiful poem! I love the picture of your rings on Benson's little toes! I had a great time visiting with you guys last week and wish it could have lasted longer!!